Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Out with the Old; In with the New

I recently bid adieu to a long-standing, reliable washer-dryer set. They don't make appliances sturdy any more. Indeed, I believe they intentionally make them in such a way that they will wear out quickly and require a further purchase. This Kenmore set was in the house when we arrived 13-1/3 years ago (and probably served for two decades):




As with almost everything in this old house, when the delivery men came to replace the set with the Lowe's Black Friday special we snagged over the Thanksgiving weekend, they could not attach the washer because the pipe valves were corroded from gradual leaking (yippee). Thus, we had to wait until a plumber could come (scheduled for the next day, but then postponed because of his busy schedule to the following Monday - groan).



We should have asked the plumber to install the new washer while he was here and the service call was covered (or at least reconnect the old one). Instead, we did as told and called Lowe's back to get back on another installation schedule. They couldn't come until Sunday (at which point, I'd been without a washer for ten days).

Frustration upon frustration. The cold water wash provided hot water. I thought perhaps we could remedy this temporarily by running a hot water wash, assuming if the pipes were wrongly connected, the hot wash would provide cold water - but I was WRONG. The hot water wash produced warm water. Try as I might, I could do nothing to make the machine run cold. Of course, Bryce was here and had brought three weeks worth of laundry. The machines (be it the washer or the dryer, I don't know) snagged his nice white sheet set in numerous spots:




I was mortified to have ruined his nice things. I should have experimented first on our own sheets and clothes, but he was wanting his to be ready for when he returned home on Christmas afternoon. What's more, the machine is so loud and it takes an hour+ to cycle through the wash load! Why, oh why, did I get rid of the old machines? While I'm grateful for a washer that will not smear random clothes with small rust marks and a dryer that will not run too hot, I don't like the new ones (well, the washer anyway). Am pretty sure this is another large-expense mistake (like the almost $2000 horrid stiff mattress we snagged for only $1300 back in 2011, but then couldn't return unless we shelled out another $600 to upgrade).

We had planned to have our water heater drained in January anyway, so we had that plumber switch the hoses and now I finally have cold water for a cold water wash. I only use warm/hot for whites, but had to use warm on everything until the issue was finally resolved. (Indeed, I hand-washed Trevor's new bright red McDonald's work t-shirt and even in the cold basin water, the colors ran, so I am relieved I didn't throw it in with everything else in the WARM wash.) Wondering if these machines will serve me well for a decade (if we remain in this house that long), but only hold out hope for about half that time. New is not always better, even when necessary.

Then, Sean received a new Iphone XR for his birthday and wanted an AT&T plan (instead of the Walmart plan he was on), so I took on his old Iphone 6 and plan and have been adjusting to the new phone and new number, as well. I even checked out a book from the library - I-phones for Dummies.

Several months ago, I purchased a used desk (bedecked with a book pattern) that closes up to hide my stacks and clutter. So, now I am in the process of trying to clear out my old desk and organize things so I can move it all into the new desk. My old desk has an extremely large surface, so I'm anticipating the difficulty of getting used to a smaller space to work in (and thinking I might miss the view from the window where my computer is set up now). We'll see if I can make the switch.

For having grown up in a Salvation Army officer's family, moving every two to three years of my life, I sure do resist change. Plus, we are not done with the shake-up. Our cars are currently all on their last leg (tire?) - all with over 150,000 miles on them. My beloved Nissan Quest van will be donated in January when the insurance runs out and I will switch to driving the car (much less room, but much better zip) until we can afford to purchase a different vehicle for me, or until Trevor earns the right to drive the car. How I will miss my roomy, familiar van!

New decade, new year, new washer/dryer, new phone, new desk, new old vehicle - what other altered realities will I be facing in 2020? Saw this on Facebook and had to chuckle: "Where do I see myself in a year? I don't know; I don't have 2020 vision!"

Speaking of vision - mine continues to decline. Had to use a magnifying glass at times to complete this fun puzzle (the books on the shelves all have altered titles like War & Peas, 20,000 Leeks Under the Sea, and Lord of the Pies:




Before I know it, I'll be needing new glasses - doh! How about you? What does the new year promise for you and are you good with change, or resistant like me?

No comments: