Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Book Review: Watch Me Disappear

Battling pre-trip anxiety, I was fairly certain I needed a real nail-biter to take my mind off my European solo trip. Although I was indeed riveted, it was probably not the best choice, given the premise. It is about a woman who goes on a solo hiking trip and disappears. Yikes! Somehow I did the same thing back when I went to visit my parents in Florida. I read a book about a plane crash, while I was riding on the plane to their house.

Watch Me Disappear is a spellbinding book about the fallout from a woman's disappearance. Billie Flanagan has been gone for a year, when her teenage daughter Olive begins to see visions of her mother beckoning her to search further. As she tries to convince her father that her mother is still alive, Olive joins him in a search for the truth about their final year with her mother. Secrets linger beneath the surface and father and daughter begin to wonder how well they really knew Billie.

I loved how the author slowly peeled away the layers of story to reveal deeper and deeper conundrums. Although I didn't really care for or connect with any of the characters, the plot was well-executed and the pacing was perfect. As each new facet unfolded, I doubted what I believed before, right alongside the characters. The ending held a twist and provided much to think about.

No comments: