Thursday, September 13, 2018

Top Ten Anticipated Reads of Fall 2018

With a pile of books already accumulated, I doubt I'll get to these upcoming releases immediately, but these are the top ten books I'm eagerly anticipating, in order of release:



Deb Caletti's A Heart in a Body in the World - 9/18/18 (technically not a fall 2018 release, but I surely won't get it until then) - This one strikes me as a YA version of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Deb Caletti capably opens up the heart of her characters. In this book, Annabelle runs 2,700 miles, from Seattle to Washington, D.C., attempting to outrun a tragedy from the past year. While walking is more my speed, I relished another YA running book by Wendelin Van Draanen, The Running Dream, so I'm open to try another YA book about a runner.





Louisiana's Way Home by Kate DiCamillo - 10/2/18 - When Louisiana Elefante's grandmother wakes her up in the middle of the night to tell her they must flee, she is not surprised. Her grandmother is given to wild whims. But, this might lead to a whole pack of good-byes. I think I'll have to read her previous book, Rayme Nightingale, first because Louisiana is introduced in that tale.








The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton - 10/9/18 - Once again, in Kate Morton's signature style, a novel told by multiple voices across time. In 1862, a group of young artists seclude themselves in a manor house to seek inspiration and creativity, but their time ends with one missing and another dead. Over a hundred and fifty years later, an archivist finds a satchel containing clues. This fills me with intrigue.








Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak, author of The Book Thief - 10/9/18 - When their father mysteriously disappears, the five Dunbar brothers must make their own way in the world. The #1 Amazon choice in YA multigenerational family fiction. I trust the author of The Book Thief to weave another wonderful story.









The Next Person You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom - 10/9/18 - This book is the sequel to The Five People You Meet in Heaven. It has already garnered an average of 4.8 stars from reviewers on Amazon. This story focuses on the heavenly reunion between amusement park mechanic, Eddie, and Annie, the little girl whose life he saved. It promises to proclaim that every life matters and every ending is a beginning.






Every Breath by Nicholas Sparks - 10/16/18 - This story reveals how a chance encounter can entwine two disparate individuals, defying decades, continents, and fate. Filled with regret, hope, and tenacious dreams, it is another story woven by this romantic master storyteller. Makes me want to revisit his non-fiction travel book, Three Weeks With My Brother.





House of Gold by Natasha Solomons - 10/23/18 - I discovered the gifted Natasha Solomons last year when I read both The House at Tyneford and The Song of Hartgrove Hall. This book, once again, promises a saga about war and Jews, wealth and family separations. I love the lyrical writing of Solomons and expect this to be another beautifully-told tale.

The Love Letter by Lucinda Riley - 11/1/18 - This is the only book I'm anticipating by an author I've never encountered. The title hooked me, as it promises a story centered on a letter. Plus, it is supposed to be about an aging actor who, at his death, leaves behind a letter with a shocking secret. Multiple characters want to get their hands on this missive. Since this is a re-release under a new title, I'm assuming it's previous standing as a bestseller will prove true.



Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty - 11/6/18 - Nine strangers descend upon a remote health resort for ten challenging days. Each is seeking something different and each has a story to share. As their lives intertwine and their stories unfold, the Amazon blurb promises the reader a page-turner "that will make you laugh and gasp." Amazon offers a chapter sampler here, but most reviewers felt cheated by this free little teaser.




The Colors of All Cattle by Alexander McCall Smith - 11/6/18 - This 19th installment of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series makes me want to rekindle my interest and catch up. I'm several books behind, so it will take a good while before I'm ready for this one. The Colors of All Cattle promises a story where Mma Ramotswe reluctantly runs for a seat on the city council. I have given up hope that my library will continue to purchase the audio versions of this series, so I must give in and read the books in paper form (oh how I love to hear the character names pronounced with an accurate accent and the delightful voice of narrator Lisette Lecat).

What books are you anticipating?





No comments: