Monday, May 4, 2020

Am I Too Obsessed With Books?

My husband would say "yes" emphatically. I not only read books, but I wear shirts about books. I keep lists of books I hope to one day read, and I write this book review blog. Last summer, he decided I had gone off the deep end when I saw someone selling more book-patterned furniture. It was such a bargain and ... well, books!

Dragging him and Trevor along, we drove to the seller's house, and the man assisted as my husband and son pushed the pieces into our van and truck. I think John wanted to kill me. The pieces? Well, for $50 I snagged an almost 400 pound armoire/desk and for $25 a matching file cabinet. It was easy to add the file cabinet to my book nook (click here to see what it looked like before). However, the armoire/desk sat in the garage until a week ago, when we lured our friend, Robert (together with his wife) to assist us in attempting to get the thing into the guest room.

Talk about a grueling task! The thing weighs a ton. We could remove none of the solid wood interior drawers or extendable desk surfaces. Plus, it is tall. When we got it on the furniture dolly, it was too tall to fit inside the door frame (not to mention we had to get it up two small steps into what used to be a garage but had been remodeled into our guest room when John's parents added a 3-car garage). After much despairing and plotting, we wedged some boards beneath to alter the angle just enough to slide it in the door and then up the two steps. At least Robert and his wife were both impressed with the piece (and with the sweet furniture dolly John had bought at Lowe's for the task).

Here it is and, boy, does it give me joy! So much joy, in fact, that I agreed to organize my downstairs desk to prepare for moving into this new one (after saying nothing would get me to spend my down-time organizing).







The previous owner added a light inside the cupboard (hence the cord dangling down - will have to do something about that). I should say, John is dubious that I will end up using this amazing piece of furniture. He believes I will tire of pulling the side desk out and then shutting the entire thing up when I'm done working. He worries I will miss the ample space of my downstairs desk (he wants to get rid of that - since I know he might be right, I've told him to hold off for now). Still, I'm thrilled it is finally inside. We had to move my treadmill and will move the chair to the left of it to make room for a rolling office chair.

Here is the matching file cabinet:



Yes! I probably am too obsessed with books!

No comments: