Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Book Review: His Redeeming Love

This is actually my second time reading through His Redeeming Love by Jonathan Edwards. The first time, I wasn't cataloguing my extra devotional reading. This year, I started writing reviews for those extra books I consume during my morning devotions (most from my own shelves). The book is part of the Life Messages of Great Christians series, published by Servant Publications. I loved how the acknowledgements highlighted the names of individuals who prayed for the compilation process. How cool is that?

The introduction to His Redeeming Love acknowledges that Edwards famously preached about sin and hell. However, it highlights his main message: "Though we sin and deserve divine retribution, God has provided a way of rescue through His Son, Jesus Christ. If we accept God's free gift of salvation [emphasis mine], we not only escape punishment, we receive everlasting life in heaven." Each day's reading provides a thought for the day, a passage of scripture, and insights from Edwards, as gleaned from his books or sermons. This is followed by questions to consider and a prayer to offer.

I felt especially convicted on Day 18, "Blessed are the Meek." Edwards speaks of the person who feels the injuries of others intensely (a struggle for me). To this, he asks several questions. "[Are] the injuries you have received from others... more than you have inflicted on God?... Do you not hope that God will continue to bear with you in your shortcomings as He has in the past, and that in spite of everything, He will exercise toward you His infinite love and favor?" Finally, he asks, of course, if God can be long-suffering, why can't you? I admit I struggle. I want to do better, but often revert to protecting myself rather than enduring.

The final section of the book (and the part I remembered most) lists Jonathan Edwards' 70 resolutions. Many of them feel redundant, simply worded in similar ways. But, they are excellent goals. Resolve to live with all might, as if it was your last hour. When you see sin in others, recognize it in yourself and repent. Never speak ill of others in a dishonoring way, only for their good. Study God's Word. Make peace. Be honest. Make nightly, weekly, monthly, and yearly reflections. Live to have no regrets. Imitate what is praiseworthy. Here's one I need: Instead of fearing misfortunes, focus only on duty, reviewing the benefits of your previous afflictions. Speak benevolently and cheerfully. I would love to have the passion and devotion of the great revivalists Jonathan Edwards or George Whitefield.

No comments: