Monday, August 3, 2026

Book Review: By Design

Susan Hunt's By Design was on my personal shelves. I used this as supplemental reading with my morning devotions. The book was written in 1994. If feminism was encroaching at the time of publication, it has since exploded. Indeed, many women will be angered if they pick this up today. I, however, am a complimentarian. I believe in God's design for men and women. I embrace this call to complement one another as He prescribed.

Susan Hunt writes first to define women's distinctiveness and society's distortions. Secondly, she outlines the various aspects of a woman's role as helper. Each chapter begins with a mini-biography of a godly, role-fulfilling woman. These are engaging and inspiring vignettes. We read of Sarah Martin's prison ministry, Ann Hamilton's legacy, and Elizabeth Fry's Newgate prison transformation. The most stirring mini-biography provides the story of Valetta Steel, author of Thrice Through the Valley (a book I'd love to find and read). Her faith in the midst of abundant trials and tragedies encourages me to press on through my own trials and tragedies. I will keep this book, if for this mini-biography alone.

I needed Hunt's words about the role of helper-supporter. Marriage can bring its own trials. Hunt reminds the reader, "When you get married, you step to the front lines of a war zone, and the enemy is not your mate... the real enemy of your marriage knows the effectiveness of the 'divide and conquer' strategy.... The only way you will survive this conflict is to recognize and stand together against your common enemy and to embrace... the original American Dream of propagating and advancing the Gospel of the Kingdom of Christ in every remote neighborhood, apartment building, suburb, mobile home park, condominium, and retirement village in our country." Oh, how the enemy is seeking to divide and conquer in the midst of our grief. We covet your prayers.

I loved, too, that the author honed in on my verse of the year, 2 Corinthians 2:14. In this section, she mentions a scene from Pilgrim's Progress when Christian and Hopeful approach the River of Death before the gates of the Celestial City. When they step in, Christian begins to sink and cries out, "I sink in deep water; the billows go over my head; all His waves go over me." But Hopeful replies, "Be of good cheer. I feel the bottom and it is good." (This same passage was emphasized in the book about depression, Companions in the Darkness.) Those times (some I'm enduring now) when God knocks the props out from under us, cause us to hit bottom and recognize God's strength and solid foundation.

No comments: