Monday, March 26, 2018

Book Review: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Highly Recommend

Eleanor Oliphant might think she's completely fine, but I think she's marvelous! What a unique and quirky protagonist Gail Honeyman has created. I adored this book. It was both sad and funny, both tragic and hilarious, both depressing and heart-warming. How is that even possible? How do gifted writers bring such characters fully to life on the page? I loved Eleanor and her personality. I cried for her heartbreak and I cheered for her survival and success. She will stay with me for a long time.

Thirty-year-old Eleanor Oliphant works an office job and spends her weekends drinking vodka and watching television. It might not be much of an existence, but she's comfortable in it. All that changes when she meets Raymond, an IT man from the office. As the two of them scramble to assist an elderly man who has a spell on the street, they begin a friendship that just might take Eleanor to a level higher than simply fine.

I don't wish to give away any more details. The novel is best savored with no idea where Eleanor has come from or where she might go. Anticipate meeting a wonderfully endearing protagonist. As the inside cover proclaims so eloquently: "Smart, warm, uplifting, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes the only way to survive is to open your heart." If you want to encounter something new and refreshing, if you are prepared for a hard road, and if you need a reminder that life is precious, give this fine book a chance. You won't regret it!

5 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

okay. you convinced me. we're heading out of town on saturday and i need a pile of books. i think i'll add this one. thanks!

Kristin said...

Loved this book!!

Wendy Hill said...

Bia - Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Kristin - It was wonderful, wasn't it?!

Maria (also Bia) said...

Loved, loved, LOVED this book. Quirky, tender, sad ... it was a true delight. Immediately sent a link to my sister telling her to read it. Thanks for an awesome suggestion!

Wendy Hill said...

Bia - So glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Yes, a true delight. I read it for my May book club meeting, but may not make it there because the boys have their school athletic physical night that night. I'm sure it will provide excellent discussion.