Monday, July 25, 2022

Movie Reviews: Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (and Maverick)

I rarely go to see movies in the theater. The last movie I attended (and the first one since the pandemic began) was a movie Sean wanted me to join him in seeing: Top Gun: Maverick. We both enjoyed that one immensely. It was riveting and full of suspense. Several of my friends recommended that movie. Apart from one bedroom scene (implied rather than shown) and some cursing, it was less cluttered than I expected.

Then, my Facebook feed exploded with trailers and ads for the upcoming movie, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris. I was so lured in (a British cleaning woman, Paris, dreams above her station) that I watched the trailers repeatedly, to the point where my husband said, "You're watching that again??" You watch the trailer and see if you're not enticed. Once the movie opened, I read hundreds of reviews billing it as a wholesome, entertaining movie with a great message. It was rated PG - another good sign. I couldn't find someone to go to the movie with me. Yet, the lure continued to pull, so I went alone.


The movie is an underdog story. It is whimsical with the feel of a fairy-tale. For example, take the moment that incites the driving conflict: a glimmering Christian Dior gown transfixes Ada Harris when she sees it in an apartment she cleans. The owner explains that, despite the exorbitant cost of 500 quid, it was worth every bit because she feels amazing when she wears the gown. Thus, Mrs. Harris sets her sights on Paris and a Christian Dior couture dress.

Difficulties are inevitable with any dream. She must raise the funds, make the trip, get inside the restrictive showroom, and wait for her gown to be ready. Although much of this is unrealistic (again, fairy-tale quality to it), the message about persistence in pursuing one's dreams is valuable. How satisfying to see arrogance receive a comeuppance. My heart followed every emotional high and devastating low in Mrs. Harris' journey.

I agree the movie is more wholesome than most that come out of Hollywood today. Yet, would it have been so difficult to leave off the can-can dancing scene, drinking, smoking, and mild cursing? It is as if producers must fill movies with some sort of degenerate behavior for fear it will not go over well enough. Never mind those of us who wish movies and books were cleaner.

Still, I would say I enjoyed this movie. I relished the vicarious visit to Paris. It was a light-hearted romp of a film. Rooting for Mrs. Harris to get and wear her dress was inevitable. Even if you are not a fashionista, you will enjoy the bright colors and delightful display. Go forth and pursue your own dreams, even if they are as frivolous as owning a dress above your station!

No comments: