Monday, December 5, 2022

Book Review: Great Expectations

I remember the thrill of visiting the Dickens Museum in Rochester, England. One display showed a scene from Great Expectations. When I read this as a teenager, it was my favorite book. Dickens became my favorite author. I wrote research papers about him in high school, college, and graduate school. I created a special walking tour for one of my Wheaton professors to offer his future students (I wonder if Dr. McClatchey ever truly used it, after all the time I poured into that tour packet). Throughout the 80s and 90s, I amassed a collection of Dickens books and memorabilia. 

Dickens' characters sprung vivid in my mind and I loved his commentary on societal ills. My Dickens collection is vast. At the Dickens House in London, I purchased this poster with the famous image of Dickens at his desk surrounded by the many fascinating characters from his imagination:


(This unfinished oil painting by Robert William Buss is titled, "Dickens' Dream." Credit: Alamy Stock Photo from Country Life.co.uk

It was interesting to listen to this book as an adult. I'm sure I responded differently. Thoughts of generosity and gratitude, of spite and revenge, struck me. Young Pip's terrifying encounter with an escaped convict on the moors near his small village creates a startling opening. He is a dutiful and obedient boy. Thus, he follows orders to visit the local recluse, Miss Havisham, and "play" for her with her adopted daughter, the beautiful Estella. Miss Havisham is almost as frightening as the convict. She sits in a faded wedding gown in a room with a decaying wedding table and cake, promising to remain there until they lay her out in permanent rest upon the table. It is no wonder that Pip falls for Estella and she becomes the object of his heart's desire. Of course, he feels no hope for attaining her, until fortune shines on him when an anonymous donor provides funds to make him a gentleman.

I will admit, my thoughts faded off while listening because the words flow in antiquated form. It was, perhaps, harder to focus on the audio story than if I had physically read the book. Still, it was a worthwhile endeavor. Thankfully, the audio version provided both of the two endings Dickens crafted. In my opinion, the sadder ending felt more true. 

I still credit the author for his impressive ability to provide vivid settings and characters in time-true dilemmas that speak to the milieu of the Victorian age. He accurately portrayed social ills, and he actively persuaded societal changes. He both responded to his historical time and altered it. What a master! And I cannot say now which of his books I would bill as my favorite. I still love so many of them: A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, The Tale of Two Cities. But, gone are the days where I dreamed of working in a Dickens museum enticing patrons into a similar love of this brilliant author. Indeed, this is only the second time I've picked up a Dickens book in the last decade.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

My favorite Dickens story is A Christmas Carol. When I taught 7th grade English, it was in the textbook which gave me delightful material the last week before Christmas break. I've watched several movie versions and plays, and I will never tire of the story. The redemption of Scrooge rings true for me. I am thankful for the birth of Christ and how he saved me from myself. Merry Christmas!

Wendy Hill said...

Gretchen - I'm always drawn to redemption stories and love to watch Scrooge's transformation from focused on self to recognizing the needs of, and living for, others. His character brings to mind an old Sunday School chorus: "Love is something if you give it away... you end up having more. It's just like a magic penny; hold it tight and you won't have any; lend it, spend it, and you'll have so many, they'll roll all over the floor." Merry Christmas to you, as well!