Thursday, August 10, 2023

Book Review: A Walk in the Woods

I remember rocking with laughter while reading this book years ago, waiting for my husband and oldest son to emerge from a Yu-gi-oh card tournament. Since it held such rollicking memories for me, I decided to revisit it in audio form during my treadmill time. I think my tolerance for crudity and crass humor has dried up. I hadn't remembered those bits. Still, it was a fun listen and I'm always interested in books that explore walking journeys. And, well, it is Bill Bryson. Despite his sometimes raunchy humor, I find him delightful and funny.

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail recounts Bryson's attempts to hike with his friend, Stephen Katz. The two were pals back in childhood days in Des Moines, Iowa, but time has taken them in different directions. Bill lived in England for two decades and Stephen sunk into alcoholism. As travel buddies, they are hilarious. Bryson teaches while you laugh. This time around, you learn about the Appalachian Trail (an over 2000 mile trek with a fascinating history).

What do I love about Bill Bryson? His humor is generally delightful. He describes scenes and events with great fervor and zest. Amid laughter, you're always learning. He is perhaps more fit for a trek along the Appalachian Trail than I am. Yet, he honestly shares his struggles. Leaving behind the comforts of home to walk endless paths full of trees, nature, and wild animals requires a certain hutzpah. How convenient to travel along by his side, vicariously experiencing all the enchantment and obstacles the trail offers! A 2015 film version of their journey is available, but may be just as crude. If you can overlook that, you will have a belly laugh or two.

Content caution 📒: language, crass humor

No comments: