Monday, April 22, 2024

Book Review: The Heart Between Us

I'm grateful for several things. My library's involvement in Hoopla has been a real blessing in my life. I believe they pay for their patrons to access the Hoopla titles, and their payment level determines how many titles each patron can check out per month. (Of course, I pay to use my library - since I don't live in that town - so I guess I'm helping to cover that bill.) Thanks to Hoopla, I've found many titles like this one to listen to while I walk on my treadmill (when the weather is too inclement for outside exercise). I'm also grateful for the wireless headphones my husband purchased for me for my birthday last year. I only seek audio books at my local library for my time in the car (I have almost exhausted all of interest anyway). Most of the audio books I've been listening to may have eluded me without Hoopla.

The Heart Between Us, by Lindsay Harrel, is a simple and sweet tale of twin sisters, Megan and Crystal. Megan is a recent recipient of a heart transplant. Crystal, the healthy twin, has endured what many siblings encounter when a sibling is sickly and weak. I recall a young woman in one of my high school classes whose younger brother had many physical, educational, and emotional issues. She expressed how difficult it was, as the high-functioning child, to be overlooked in the focus on her brother's many needs and trials. Perhaps similar struggles propelled Crystal to flee just prior to Megan's heart transplant. Despite a new heart, Megan remains fearful of living life to the full.

Then she meets the parents of the young woman whose heart now beats within her. She determines to pursue the bucket list their daughter left behind. Megan's mother is concerned. She begs Crystal to talk Megan out of going. Instead, Crystal agrees to join her sister on this whirlwind trip to some of the world's amazing structures and natural wonders. Crystal is an architect working towards a senior architect position. She hopes the trip will inspire her with ideas for the account that may clinch her promotion. Both need a chance to heal and restore their relationship and others.

I enjoyed this travelogue tale. It was fun to explore the locations vicariously. The sibling relationship issues were believable. The story drew me in quickly. But beyond my own enjoyment of this book, an Amazon review touched me. Labelled "Delightful and Impactful," the reviewer explains she had just endured a cornea transplant and this was the first book she attempted to read. I adored her review (thank you, Sarah K). It reminded me that sometimes a story meets people at different intersections of life. One person's experience of a book will not be another's. This book hit this reader right when and where she needed it most. That is the wonder and balm of books! I thank God for books!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...



Sounds interesting! Like you, I'm thankful for books. I'm finishing Keepers of Hidden Books (historical fiction) which highlights Warsaw during the Nazi occupation and how books helped so many people during intense suffering.