Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Book Review: Dying to Meet You


I have mentioned before that I am a huge fan of the whimsical books of Kate and Sarah Klise. These sisters collaborate to write and illustrate books full of suspense and humor. The tales are told entirely through letters and newspaper articles. Sarah Klise provides illustrations with tremendous kid-appeal.

I was thrilled to discover two new books by the Klise sisters. It appears to be a new series, since the books are numbered. I was able to secure the first one, Dying to Meet You. This series looks to be right up my middle son's alley. Trevor will love these books since they take place in an old haunted house at 43 Old Cemetery Road, Ghastly, Illinois.

The Klise sisters always provide a good laugh with the character names they come up with. This story centers on Ignatius B. Grumply, an author of children's books. He contacts Anita Sale (real estate agent) with a request to rent a quiet bungalow so he can work on his newest release and hopefully end his writer's block. His publisher, Paige Turner, is anxiously awaiting another manuscript.

I.B. Grumply ends up renting the home of Professors Les and Diane Hope who are travelling abroad. He is shocked to discover that they have left behind their son, Seymour Hope, who is residing on the third floor. Seymour tries to convince I.B. that he is cared for by the ghost of the house's original owner, Olive C. Spence. Olive was, of all things, a frustrated author who couldn't find a publisher for her "graphic epistolary mysteries."

These books are cute and fun to read. I am anxious for the other library patron to return the second book of this new series, Over My Dead Body. With puns a-plenty, the next book promises more excitement from the haunted house on Cemetery Road as Dick Tater, from the International Movement for the Safety & Protection Of Our Kids & Youth (IMSPOOKY), tries to take control of Seymour's situation. I'm thinking Trevor might just be receiving these two books for his birthday. Shhh - it's a secret.

As a new member of Amazon Affiliates, the links I provide to the Amazon listings of these books will mean that I earn a small percentage of any purchases made by travelling there through my links.

No comments: