Sunday, December 5, 2010

Book Review: The Perfect Love Song


This book was brand new at my library when I saw it in the browsing rack. I imagine I am the first patron to read it. Indeed, I feel a little guilty because I finished the book a few weeks back, but kept it on hand to write this review. I'm sure there are other library patrons out there who are looking for a pleasant, light holiday read.

While it wasn't quite as good as one of Karen Kingsbury's Red Glove books (my favorite holiday reads, I think), this was a tender little story about a girl, Kara, who is inspired by an old Irish lady to return to her first love, Jack ... the boy who grew up next door to her. Only now, Jack is a grown man and he and his brother, Jimmy, are part of a touring band. Plus, Jimmy has fallen in love with Kara's best friend, Charlotte. The brothers aren't exactly thrilled to return to their old home town because it brings up many unhappy memories of life with their alcoholic father.

Jimmy writes a love song for Charlotte. But when others hear it, they are convinced that it is "the perfect Christmas song." As the song gains popularity, Jimmy is tugged further and further away from the source of the song that may finally bring him the fame he has dreamed of.

The story culminates with a lead-up to Kara and Jack's wedding in Ireland. Will Jimmy continue to take on additional commitments to nurse his popularity or will he make it to Ireland in time for the wedding and reclaim the things that matter more than the success of his song?

I think my mother, who hopes to go to Ireland one of these days, would really enjoy this book. Plus, I have to be sure to copy one of the final pages, where the author shares a recipe for Emerald Isle Shortbread. It seems just the season to try such a recipe, no?

No comments: