Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Easy Peasy Tortellini

I'm a fly-by-the-pants kind of girl. I don't wake up in the morning thinking about what we will have for dinner. Most days, I don't think about dinner until about 3:30 or 4 in the afternoon. Even then, I might think about it, but decide to think about it again later. Ha!

I was delighted when I discovered this easy and quick recipe for tortellini soup. An added plus? - it has spinach (hubby is thinking I have an iodine deficiency because I'm so often craving spinach these days).




Tomato Tortellini Soup with Spinach

2 tsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 quart chicken broth
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2-1/2 c. cheese and spinach tortellini from a 13 oz. bag
6 oz. prewashed spinach
salt and pepper

Heat oil and garlic over medium-high heat in a soup kettle. Add Ital. seasoning, tomatoes, broth and baking soda.

(At this point, I usually call Trevor in so he can watch the chemical reaction as the baking soda meets the acidic tomatoes - pow!)

Bring to a boil. Add tortellini and return to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until almost tender (about 10 minutes). Add spinach and simmer until wilted (2-3 minutes longer). Salt and pepper to taste.
The nutritional information isn't bad either: Per serving: 291 calories; 10g fat; 53 g. carbs; 1380 mg. sodium; 5.7 g. fiber; 18 g. protein.

We sprinkle it with grated Parmesan cheese. This is the third week in a row that I have made this new recipe (from the newspaper, gotta love it). It is actually even better on the second day when the flavors have blended together longer. Yum!

4 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Wendy, I am totally going to make this. Probably I will be the only one who likes it, but it sounds SOOOOO good!

I crave spinach sometimes, too. I like the tiny little baby spinach best. It has lots of iron so your iron could be low, too...

Wendy Hill said...

Yes, I make it for just John and I. We always have baby spinach on hand and it is no difficulty to remember to pick up the can of crushed tomatoes. Hope you like it, Amy!

Aer Conditionat said...

It looke so nice and i`m sure it tastes delicious, am i right? I will definetly try this recipe.

Conta said...

I want to thanks you for sharing this recipe. I`ve tried it last weekend and i had with my family a delicious dinner.