Saturday, November 5, 2011

It's Nanowrimo Time Again


November has come around again and I am passionately plugging away at another novel. I can't say that it is my best work to date. With the other two novels (written in 2009 and 2010) I had already ruminated on the ideas for a good many years before writing. This year I had a novel idea that I had been tossing around in my head for many months. But then a few days before the Nanowrimo challenge began, I came up with another idea.

Although the writing is flowing fairly easily (I ended the first day with 3643 words, the second day with 6,216, the third with 10,509, and the fourth with 12,696), I still think my characters are coming off as flat and the pacing is too stiff. Of course, these are things which can be edited and worked with later.

The main thing that I'm finding is that the writing is so completely energizing for me. When I am focused on writing, I feel like my days matter and I look forward to accomplishing the best I can.

What's more, I receive accolades from my kids. Every day they guess what word count level I have achieved. Bryce said he cannot believe I can write 4,000 words in one day. It is something he could never imagine doing.

I don't get those kinds of positive reinforcements for my regular mothering role. It's not like he comes to me and says, "Wow! Mom! I'm so impressed that you were able to get that ketchup stain out of my favorite white shirt! Thanks so much!" or "These toilets are pristine. Didn't I just spray all over in here a few hours ago??" or "This meal is the best meal I've ever eaten in my life!" Nope, those kinds of comments never come.

Last night, Bryce gave me the best encouragement yet. I remarked that I thought the pacing was making the novel boring and if a teen were really reading it, they might get bored and stop reading. He replied, "Well, if Golding can win a Nobel Peace Prize for Lord of the Flies (a novel he is reading for class), and it is the most boring novel I've ever tried to read, then you shouldn't worry so much!" Ha!

Heck, if it weren't so much strenuous work - cranking out all these words - I might wish Nanowrimo took place every month!

2 comments:

Elizabeth A. said...

That makes sense that writing is energizing. I hadn't found that until I started blogging regularly.

And 4,000 words in one day is a goodly amount. Though for Bryce's sake, I hope he doesn't follow in your college footsteps or he'll be in trouble. Assuming, everyone waits until the weekend before to write their papers like I did...Probably why I never found it energizing. :)

But good for you! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Writing is good "me time."

Maybe you could make monthly goals once Nano is over.

Oh, and..."These toilets are pristine. Didn't I just spray all over in here a few hours ago??"

Baha! I don't know how you manage to keep up with four males.

Amy So said...

You're doing it! Great job, I am proud of you!!!!