Monday, April 15, 2024

Mid-month Mention: A Passel of Poetry Posts


During National Poetry Month, I wanted to focus on a few former posts on various poets. I would be remiss to neglect mentioning my own poetry out the gate. Travelling all the way back to 2009, I shared a poem I had written for an exercise on another poet's site. It is called "At the Corner of Now and Then," and provides images of the merging of lives when we moved into my husband's grandmother's house (in 2006). The poet who inspired that experiment was L. L. Barkat, author of Stone Crossings: Finding Grace in Hard and Hidden Places (reviewed here). I loved finding the old post reviewing her book because it contained a little illustration I had forgotten about. The illustration reminds me to tend the talents I've been given.

In 2022, I tended those talents and self-published a book of poems for parents of prodigals. Titled Watching the Wayward, it puts expression to the many emotions experienced when you discover your teen/adult child has departed from your desired path for them. You can find links in the sidebar or on my author website. If you love podcasts, check out this podcast interview for my testimony and the story behind my book.

Here are 3 books that have inspired my creative life: 

  1. Andrew Peterson's Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  2. Annie Dillard's The Writing Life,  
  3. Nicole Gulotta's Wild Words: Rituals, Routines, and Rhythms for Braving the Writer's Path (I think I'm in the "liminal" space right now).

In preparation for working on my poetry, I consumed several books by (or about) favorite poets. Here are a few of those: 

And, I wanted to mention my favorite personally known poet:
  • Kyle L. White - especially his book Freezing and Thawing: New and Revised Stories from the Midwest - Kyle is also an illustrator and creates prints available on his prints website. Right now he's promoting a set of 6 prints based on the rhythm of the church calendar. Here's the blurb in his advertisement: "Bring a peaceful rhythm to your household's year with this unique series of reflective art prints. The six artworks come with an easel, a background story, and an explanation for each season of the liturgical calendar. All illustrations will be hand printed on the vintage presses of Mordecai book building in Middleton, Wisconsin. And when you preorder the bundle by May 15th, you'll receive a 7th art print. It makes for a good reflective gift for people all around you too."
I recently saw a post on FB about an influential high school teacher who listened to a girl spill her problems and at the end of the year left an inspiring phrase in her yearbook. The post was written by Elaine Jarvis. Her daughter made a bookmark with the teacher's oft-remembered phrase (teacher: Everett Thomas):


(photo credit: Elaine Jarvis)

3 comments:

Gretchen said...


I don't personally know other poets, than you. The poetry/psalms in Watching the Wayward is rich. I hope you'll continue to write. Your words tug and touch. From your chapter When I Fear the Water:
"Resting in You, I have found
I can flap arms of faith,
I can float in Your care.
The water will not threaten
Despite the fears that set in.
So, when tossed in deep water,
Help me understand Your plan.
For thy test is for my best
If I learn to truly rest."

Kyle L. White said...

Thank you, Friend Wendy, for including me! An honor. Love your list of resources for inspiration.

Wendy Hill said...

Gretchen - I thank God to have met Kyle in a writer's group back in Illinois. His poetry is thought-provoking and rich. Thank you for your kind words.

Kyle - Yes, those inspirational resources have helped me immensely. Plus, Wild Words reminds me to give myself grace when I'm in that liminal space. Perhaps it is a writing sabbatical.