Monday, September 9, 2024

Book Review: The Telephone Box Library

I apologize for my weak book reviews. My heart is not in it, as we are in the middle of a great trial at home. The Telephone Box Library, by Rachael Lucas, is a small town, feel-good novel about community, love, and books. It seemed similar to my past read about a British telephone box turned library, The Littlest Library. Both were light-hearted reads meant for those who enjoy a bit of romance and a lot of bookish references (more references in the previous read than this one).

The stress of Lucy's teaching job is getting to her. She takes a sabbatical and moves into a tiny Cotswold village. Margaret has offered Lucy a reduced rate if she will pop in on her ninety-something-year-old mother-in-law from time to time. Bunty, the mother-in-law, is a feisty woman with a head full of stories from the war. Lucy is a history teacher and naturally bent on drawing out Bunty's tales. Add in Sam, a handsome single dad next door, and you've got a sweet little romance novel.

Sam's daughter Freya is determined to save the old red telephone box from destruction. The entire community works together to turn it into a little free library. I read this in snippets during my trips to my mother's memorial service and to my nephew's wedding. My emotions simply weren't in it (no fault of the book, just my current trials and tribulations). If you love small town British tales, this is a great option.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

It does sound similar to The Littlest Library, which was enjoyable. I'm so sorry for the heartache you're experiencing. No apologies needed for "weak" book reviews. I always look forward to reading your posts.