Thursday, August 8, 2024

Book Review: What a Wave Must Be

I don't recall what in the teaser lured me in to What a Wave Must Be by Angela Hunt. The title comes from an Emily Dickinson line. "I never saw a moor, I never saw the sea; Yet know I how the heather looks, and what a wave must be." Perhaps it was the first line of the book blurb: "a powerful story of a family's journey toward healing and hope after an unimaginable loss." I receive book recommendations from Hoopla based on my previous experiences. Thus, I think they listed this among Christian audio selection suggestions.

This was the exact sort of difficult I have been shying away from. I'm not the target audience at this time. Indeed, I wanted to give up several times, but felt I couldn't waste the invested time. Readers should know from the start that this book discusses the theological, emotional, and social implications of suicide. That, in itself, is hard, but as the numbers rose, I felt like a test dummy assaulted time after time in crashing vehicles. I know it is important to grapple with difficult subjects. Moreover, it can't be fun to take that on as a task. I just wish I had not gone there.

At least the author's note at the end helped somewhat. She explained her purpose. She wanted to alert people to the reality of clusters of suicides, especially among young people. I'm sure her goal was to provide that "healing and hope" mentioned in the book blurb. I just wasn't at a place to hear the communications of hope and healing well. If suicide has touched you (my husband's younger brother took his life) this book can go one of two ways for you. It can either help you process this difficult discussion or it can trigger emotional overwhelm. You might feel reassured. You might feel drawn down into the depths (what happened to the daughter). Assess yourself prior to opening the cover. And now, I'm off to cleanse my palate with another light-hearted rom-com. 😀 

📒 Content Caution: Difficult subject, possibly triggering for some

No comments: