Monday, March 4, 2024

Book Review: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

The Hunger Games was riveting. I owned (thanks to my sister's gift to my non-reading teen) and read every book in the series. When The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes arrived on the scene, Sean and I were both eager to read it. Thus, I asked for the giant hardback book for my birthday and Bryce obliged. Sadly, years passed. While both of us attempted to give it a start, we didn't get far. Now, with the movie out, I decided I would attempt it in a different format. I checked out the audio version from our library.

The book is long (528 pages) and winding. The characters felt inconsistent. One minute my sympathies lay with Coriolanus Snow, while in the next, I didn't care for him. The length of the book put me off to begin with, and kept me from completing it, as well. The audio version is 14 CDs long. With Trevor's car out of commission, I wasn't the only one driving, so my husband had to pause the CD when he drove. Perhaps, given the season of snow and ice, I wasn't driving as frequently either. Whatever the reason, my interest was minimal. I continued to listen, but missed the absorbing nature of the original books. I tired of the constant battle between "is this character a good guy or a bad guy?"

To be honest, I don't think I enjoyed it enough to even bother with the movie. If the library acquires it, and I'm lost for something to do some weekend, I may check it out. But I can't muster the desire to see it or experience this tale again. The books still highlight telling social commentary. Our society doesn't hold human life with any more esteem than the Capitol. It isn't a stretch to think we might be capable of similar atrocities occurring right beneath our noses, and few have the guts to protest. 

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


I appreciate your honest comments. It definitely sounds like a book that won't hit my TBR list. I don't even care for the title!