Monday, August 26, 2024

Book Review: A Thousand Times Yes

A few years ago, I noticed this title, A Thousand Times Yes: Two Doctors Who Answered God's Call, on my friend's Good Reads shelf. She gave it 5 stars, so I looked into it and purchased the book. My friend is training to be a doctor and a missionary, so I understand the appeal this book had for her. I began reading this last year, during my January trip with my sister to visit my parents. However, I abandoned the book when my dad encouraged me to read a book from his apartment called Heaven Rules. This year's trip to FL (for my mother's celebration of life), I brought it along again and completed it.

Wana Ann Fort shares the story of her life and her calling to be a missionary doctor, something she felt was far out of reach. I was interested in following this story of her missionary exploits in Africa because two of my friends were on a sister trip to re-visit Africa, where they had lived temporarily with their missionary parents when they were children. Combining viewing their stunning photos while reading the Forts' adventures and faith bolstered my spiritual fortitude when I needed spiritual fortitude more than you can imagine! Here is an example of one amazing shot taken by my friends while on their reunion trip to Africa:

(photo credit: Beth Petrie)

I once desired a missionary calling. I did a brief stint on a summer mission team in the Philippines. When I returned, I had a new view of my privilege and my heritage, so often taken for granted. But God led in a different path. I admire those who give their lives in service to Christ and His kingdom. They will reap rewards in heaven. My path holds just as much purpose and challenge as a missionary life, but I'm still aware of the comforts I look upon with expectation. May God use my faith for His kingdom, just as he did the faith of the Fort family.

No comments: