Thursday, July 11, 2024

Book Review: Tree. Table. Book.

As soon as I saw this new title from Lois Lowry (Newbery award-winning author of The Giver), I put my name on my library's hold list. I read Tree. Table. Book. in one day. Lowry weaves an intergenerational tale of an 11-year-old girl, Sophie, whose best friend is her 88-year-old neighbor with the same name, Sophie. The young Sophie is anxious because the old Sophie is experiencing cognitive decline. Older Sophie's son is coming for a visit to take her to the doctor for some tests. Young Sophie decides she will test her best friend all on her own, using the Merck Manual. As she prods Sophie's memory, she learns stories of her past that have been long kept hidden. While the story is heart-wrenching, it provides a touching account of a child's encounter with dementia. Lowry once again taps in on deep emotional truths and presents a flawless story.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


I'd not heard about this book, so after reading your review I downloaded it. Thank you for another great book.