When I think of Lewis, Tolkien, and the Inklings (the group of writers who gathered at the Bird and Baby pub in Oxford), I'm filled with longing for such a blessed group in my life. I loved my wonderful writer's group in DeKalb, IL, when we lived there. I joined a library writer's group here, but many of the others were not Christians and did not share my worldview or belief system. Then I tried another library's group without success. What Lewis and Tolkien shared was meaningful and rich. It is rare to find such intense comaraderie and connection.
John Hendrix did a great job structuring this graphic work. A lion and a wizard lead the reader as they explore the details of these interesting lives. The artistic aspect of this work adds to the richness of the story. This graphic biography will certainly appeal to anyone interested in the inner workings of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. I may suggest it to my youngest son, who is currently reading Tolkien's The Hobbit.

No comments:
Post a Comment