Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Book Review: A Brewed Awakening

Clever title! Witty banter! Opposites attract! Pepper Basham is becoming a well-loved writer. I have adored listening to Authentically, Izzy, Positively, Penelope, and Some Like it Scot. Her books are fun and flirty. The dialogue reminds me of the fast talking that goes on in The Gilmore Girls show. You can rely on Basham for clean romance, full of heart-rending conflicts, softened by lighthearted exploration. I can't wait to read more of her books. In fact, I'm wishing I had secured A Brewed Awakening in audio form with the British accent to enhance the story.

Daphne Austen loves all things British. While opening her late grandmother's tea shop one morning, she catches sight of a British car she has loved from Granny's tales (a Cabriolet - I'm not familiar). Unfortunately, Finn (the dashing Brit who owns the car) immediately casts aspersions on her tea shop. It turns out he's her new neighbor and his shop will offer British fare of a heartier variety than tea and scones.

Both Daphne and Finn are wounded souls. They protect their hearts the only way they know how. Can they open them to each other and get past the caustic stereotypes? Because I follow Basham on Facebook, I knew she wrote this tale while facing the damage left by Hurricane Helene. I don't believe I've ever been to North Carolina, but it came alive through this book. Maybe it is time to make a larger bucket list than my current one.

No comments: