Thursday, July 25, 2024

Book Review: The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip

Sara Brunsvold is a new-to-me author. This book, The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip, was all things good and wholesome. It was soothing, comforting, inspiring, and encouraging. If you know me, you know my quibble with Christian fiction, where the author deems the message more important than the story. Although faith coursed through the entire novel, it was never overbearing. The novel makes the reader consider how they want to die and how they wish to live.

Rookie reporter, Aidyn Kelley, is desperate for a proper assignment. She knows she could pull off a feature. Yet, her supervisor views her request as presumptuous and overreaching. Instead, she gives what seems a menial task, writing the obituary for a woman standing at death's door. When Aidyn darkens Clara Kip's nursing home, she thinks she'll be in and out. She arms herself with the requisite questions and has her goal in sight. But Clara isn't your typical hospice patient and will not reduce into a paragraph or two. She lives large and wants to die even larger. She makes a deal with Aidyn to answer 3 questions for every extraordinary death the reporter can make up for her. As Aidyn seeks ways to die extravagantly, she learns more and more about Clara. In their precious time together, Aidyn's world expands and her faith grows.

As a reader, you cannot help being drawn in to Clara's magnetic sphere. The characters become like people you know or want to know better. Long after I completed the book, my mind licked over thoughts and lessons gleaned. Thankfully, I read this just as my mother was approaching a time of hospice. It was comforting to read this account of the hospice system. The book had been in my audio queue on Hoopla for quite a while, based on recommendations. Then, I saw the author was coming to a nearby town for a book talk. I listened to the novel prior to the talk and am so glad I did. What a joy it was to listen to the author share about the inspiration and writing process for this touching and inspiring novel. 

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. (wish I could be at least a little like Mrs. Kip)