Monday, May 27, 2024

Book Review: The Forever Gift

By now, I should know that if I finish one book and launch into another before writing up a review, that review suffers. Amazon recommended The Forever Gift by Brooke Harris. I finished it and failed to write up a review right away. I'm not sure I can give it its due. Plus, I lack strong feelings about the book (and perhaps that played a part in my avoiding the review process). It was entertaining enough, but nothing stands out.

Heather and Kayla reminded me a lot of the mother-daughter relationship in The Gilmore Girls show. Their bond is strong. Their lives change when Kayla's knee starts hurting. She is the captain of the basketball team. Surely, she should just play through the pain. Unfortunately, it is more serious than a bum knee. Kayla's Ewings-Sarcoma diagnosis draws Heather and Kayla's father closer together, creating friction and stress in his marriage.

The book addresses the complicated relationships that occur in blended families. As many Amazon reviewers said, it is emotionally stirring. The characters are realistic and the plot builds adequately. The ending doesn't tie the story up with a tidy bow, as one might expect. Yet, it ends with hope. I think it was a worthwhile read.

📒 Content Caution: language and taking of Lord's name in vain

No comments: