Monday, May 13, 2024

Mid-month Mention: Mental Health and Learned Helplessness

May is National Mental Health Month. As I've said before, this issue is close to my heart because it forms my most significant struggle. Lately, I've been struggling with everything: my parenting, my marriage, my inability to do what brings me pleasure normally (writing), and a sense of overwhelm in the face of these obstacles. 

I really identified with this podcast by Dr. Andrew Huberman with Dr. Paul Conti.

Photo by Aleks Marinkovic on Unsplash

(I loved this image by Aleks Marinkovic because it shows books on a shelf, but it appears you cannot use them or access the knowledge within because of the bars across each shelf - interesting! What a thought-provoking image!)


One thing I'm addressing in therapy is the problem of learned helplessness. I am seeking to change some of my negative beliefs (I am insufficient) and replace those beliefs with affirming beliefs (I am sufficient to meet this challenge). This blog post, by Allaya Cooks-Campbell, was also helpful to me.

Another Psychology Today post on learned helplessness identifies my challenges and offers suggestions for solving this dilemma.

I had hoped to be further along in this process of changing my mind and my outlook. Instead, it often feels like I ripped off one band-aid (a trauma experienced last June) only to find multiple wounds yet unaddressed. Everything is oozing and healing seems far off. Yet, I will persist. I cannot give up. Indeed, as the PT article affirmed:

"People can push back against learned helplessness by practicing independence... and by cultivating resilience, self-worth, and self-compassion. Engaging in activities that restore self-control can also be valuable." 

Maybe that's where those affirmations and visualizations in The Miracle Morning book might improve my morning routine to make it more effective in my life. Do you struggle with mental health issues? What difficulties are you addressing? What causes you the most grief? Do you ever feel like a book on a shelf, held back by an inexplicable bar?

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


I easily fall into all-or-nothing distorted thinking. For example, when I don't meet a personal goal, I feel like I'm a failure in EVERYTHING. It's so easy for me to see the negative but not see how God is working.