Monday, September 2, 2024

Book Review: The Joy of Falling

I'm glad I discovered the novels of Lindsay Harrel. Each one I've read has been charming. This one, The Joy of Falling, is again a bit different from the others. Harrel is not a formulaic author. Each book seems to come from a fresh perspective and presentation.

In The Joy of Falling, we meet two widows, whose husbands were brothers who lost their lives while on a grand diving adventure. Eva quietly adored her husband, Brent. Angela harbored deep resentment for her husband, Wes. She felt he disregarded the family in pursuit of extreme sports. Now, these widows are alone. Prior to their death, the husbands had signed up for a race. The women decide to run it together in memory of their husbands. During the process of training and running the race, both face inner demons and find a way to a new life.

I enjoyed the book. The characters were real and stirring. Their dilemma was raw. Their progression in faith rang true. Sadly, it was a disjointed listening experience. I listened between jaunts off to my mother's celebration of life and then my nephew's wedding in Texas. Still, I will seek more from this author.

No comments: