Thursday, June 13, 2024

Book Review: Love in Tandem

Looking for a sweet, light-hearted romance? Becca Kinzer writes wholesome Christian romance. After enjoying her epistolary novel, Dear Henry, Love Edith, I signed up for her newsletter. As a thank you, Kinzer offers two novellas. I only read the first one on offer, but have continued to follow this author through her newsletters. In addition, when she challenged readers to ask their library to purchase her upcoming title, I reached out to my local library. They agreed and the book must be gaining buzz because my due date is looming with no renewals available. Someone else is in line waiting to read Love in Tandem.

I think a cross-country tandem bike ride sounds horrific (after ten minutes on my bike, my bum shouts resistance). Still, the story idea was ripe for plenty of obstacles and laughs. In a standard tale of "opposites attract," Charlotte Carter and Zach Bryant end up on a 500-mile bike trek together. Charlotte hopes to win the prize money to save her beloved small-town music program. Zach is only back in town for his brother's wedding, a wedding Charlotte envisioned for herself until Zach's brother broke their engagement. He can't wait to get back on the road, far away from his Illinois roots. Can they set aside their differences enough to power through and win the challenge? Will an endless stream of difficulties hold them back?

I'm not sure what keeps drawing me to rom-com. Maybe I'm not prepared for deep or intense emotional engagement. When things are difficult, I appreciate submerging into a light-hearted journey. Sure, it often requires the willful suspension of disbelief, but it dulls the senses from more extreme realities at the same time.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


Reading is definitely one of my escapes, and until your suggestion of Dear Henry, Love Edith, I'd never read a romcom. I not only escaped, I laughed. I'm glad to read about another light get-away.