Thursday, February 8, 2024

Book Review: Reset

Perhaps it is because I am involved in counseling at the moment. Or perhaps it is because starting a new year often triggers a desire to turn over new leaves. My new leaf involves slimming down for my son's upcoming wedding in September. It is really driven by a second goal, though; I am fearful of being diagnosed with diabetes or heart issues (my dad struggles with both). And third, I am determined to forge healthier relationships. Those are my reasons for seeking Debra Fileta's book, Reset: Powerful Habits to Own Your Thoughts, Understand Your Feelings, and Change Your Life. And that is why, after completing this book (similar to what I did with Gary Thomas' books), I checked it out again in e-book form, so I could take notes and digest more fully the wisdom within the pages.

Reset begins with this premise: "Thoughts lead to feelings; feelings lead to behavior." The book structure follows a month-long process to alter old patterns that fail to serve well. Fileta outlines 31 steps to take in this process, things like pause, acknowledge, decide, and plan. Last year, my goal was to pray more. I learned how important the planning process was in making that behavioral change. As Fileta observes, "The success or failure of your ability to act on your desire for change hinges on how much you've prepared for it.... Wanting it badly enough won't magically get you to a better place... you're going to have to spend some time preparing." In order to be intentional, I created prayer cards for each individual, cataloguing every need and request. I set aside 3 times a day to focus on those cards and individuals. This year, I'm trying to be intentional, as well. I track my food intake, my fitness activity, my water consumption, and my intermittent fasting hours.

I know I need to tackle a few steps outlined. She recommends identifying your default mode and negative thoughts, then doing it differently. I will need to spend plenty of time on practice 11: Call out the lies. The last steps all include self-care practices like finding mind/body outlets, filling yourself up (physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually), unplugging, resting, and breathing. My biggest challenge will be to tackle practice 29: connect with God and others. Connecting with God will be easy; connecting with others is something I find more challenging. Just as I learned years ago in my phone life-coaching with Mike, I need to repair some of the missing social spokes.

I wanted to take the Holmes/Rahe Life Stress Inventory the author mentioned as available on her website, but I could not find it. It would be interesting to assess my stress levels. She also mentioned a book I would like to seek, Holy Noticing, by Charles Stone. Not sure if I can find that and doubt I want to purchase it. If you are attempting to meet new goals this year, Reset just might help you tackle and change patterns of behavior that hold you back.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


This sounds like excellent material. The Libby Ap only offers it in audible format, but I'll see if our library can find it through an inter-library loan.