Thursday, February 15, 2024

Mid-month Mention: Spring Author Talks and Upcoming Movies

AUTHOR TALKS:

Shortly after finishing Susan Meissner's Only the Beautiful, I discovered an author talk available with the writer in February (I mentioned it in my book review post).


Laura Beth Vietor (The Lover of Books) is also offering an author talk on May 6th at 8 p.m. with William Kent Kreuger, discussing The River We Remember. I have read and reviewed his books Ordinary Grace and This Tender Land. I have not yet read The River We Remember, so I'm not sure I'll attend this author talk, but he is certainly an author to watch. Again, if interested in participating search up The LBs (Lover of Books) page on Facebook, or her YouTube channel (for repostings - I noticed an author talk with Patti Callahan Henry for Once Upon a Wardrobe, a book I'm reading now, and one with Laura Spence-Ash, for her delightful Beyond That, The Sea).

Or you can participate in upcoming author talks with Jane Healey for her Historical Happy Hour: 

2/22/24 - Kristin Hannah, discussing The Women

3/5/24 - Allison Pataki, discussing Finding Margaret Fuller

3/28 - Kate Quinn and Janie Chang, discussing The Phoenix Crown

You can register to attend any of these live interviews at janehealey.com

I also stumbled upon an author talk for writers who wish to explore the therapeutic benefits of journaling. Though the free talk on February 7th has already passed, you may wish to join Dr. Hilton Koppe, author of One Curious Doctor, for his 2-part talk on Tending Heart: Reflective Writing for Well-being:



SPRING MOVIES:

ONE LIFE

A Bleecker Street post on Facebook has me excited about a movie coming in March:

"Embark on a journey of courage and compassion with Sir Anthony Hopkins in ONE LIFE. Based on the incredible true story of Nicholas Winton, a man who risked everything to rescue hundreds of predominantly Jewish children from Nazi Germany on the eve of WWII. Also starring Helena Bonham Carter, Johnny Flynn, and Jonathan Pryce, coming only to theaters March 15."

You can view the trailer here.

I'm not a big movie-goer, but I would love to see this one in the theater. Indeed, I was so intrigued, I watched a 60 Minutes news story about Nicholas Winton and then an older documentary, called Nicky's Family, available from my library on Kanopy.

SOMEONE LIKE YOU

I'm also interested in another movie due out on April 2nd, Someone Like You. Based on a Karen Kingsbury novel (brief review here) and produced by Karen Kingsbury Productions, the movie looks sweet and emotionally stirring.

You can view the trailer here.

UNSUNG HERO

The final movie I want to mention is one I will probably forego seeing in theaters and hope the library secures a copy at a later date. It is the story of the Christian musical group For King and Country. I had the rare opportunity to see them in concert at our 2015 annual Bible camp, CBLI. It is called Unsung Hero and opens on April 26th.

You can view the trailer here.

No comments: