Monday, March 18, 2024

Book Review: If I Were You - Highly Recommend

Here's the proof that I felt compelled by this story: I turned down my husband's offers to wash the dishes and extended my treadmill time, just so I could snatch extra minutes listening to this audio book. By the end, I even set excuses aside and sat on the couch enjoying the tale's unfolding and resolution. I thought I might have tired of historical fiction (especially focused on WWII), but this book proved otherwise. It was so worth the lengthy time investment (13-1/2 hours).

I should note that this is Christian historical fiction, but it is the sort where the strong story leads to faith insights. The author didn't hammer the message (I've only read one Lynn Austin book where that was true). Instead, in this book, Austin peels back a story that illustrates God's love and care in authentic and meaningful ways. The characters have realistic problems. It was easy to walk a mile in their shoes and imagine the difficulties they faced. No, more than that! I recognized my own sins and mistakes, my own struggles with faith, and felt uplifted by reminders of God's love and His purpose for our pain. Author Liz Curtis Higgs says, "If I Were You is a page-turning, nail-biting, heart-stopping gem of a story." I agree!

As the Amazon teaser outlines, this is a novel of sisterhood and self-discovery, of faith and friendship. I tried several times to summarize the gist without giving up important details. In the end, I will settle for the alluring Amazon teaser:

"1950. In the wake of the war, Audrey Clarkson leaves her manor house in England for a fresh start in America with her young son. As a widowed war bride, Audrey needs the support of her American in-laws, whom she has never met. But she arrives to find that her longtime friend Eve Dawson has been impersonating her for the past four years. Unraveling this deception will force Audrey and Eve's secrets - and the complicated history of their friendship - to the surface."

Austin sets the stage beautifully with this initial dilemma. Then, she goes back to construct their friendship and their faith struggles through the years. It is very true to life. Our faith journeys are different and fluid, ever-changing. Sometimes we have no idea that God is walking with us. Sometimes we sense Him in the presence of a lamb. Regardless of our personal struggles, or where we are on our path of faith, He is with us in the good and the bad. And boy is this world full to the brim of good and bad! It is understandable when people struggle with believing in a loving God when they see and experience the world's pain. Yet, as this story so powerfully illustrates, the Shepherd knows His sheep and will go to all lengths to find them when they are lost.

If you read and enjoy this book, there is a novella sequel called The Wish Book Christmas. (Review coming soon.) Or if you're curious to see which other Lynn Austin books I recommend, visit my reviews for Though Waters Roar, Wonderland Creek, and All Things New.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


I love those books that I can't let go of. I've heard of this author and never read any of her books. Sounds great!