Thursday, August 15, 2024

Mid-month Mention: Hope for my Hurting Heart


In the month of July, my heart was gutted. The love of a parent for a child is a bond like no other. If biological, you have not chosen that child; that child was chosen for you by God. The Lord gives an intensity of love upon birth that cannot be rivaled. Yet, that child, chosen by God for you, can also bring an intensity of pain, betrayal, and heartbreak.

I was searching up something entirely different, when I happened upon the scripture writing videos of The Homespun Wife (Sherry M. Hefner) on You Tube. I thought perhaps I might get back into scripture writing. I had used that practice several years ago, but had revamped my morning quiet time without incorporating the writing of scripture. You Tube highlights other videos along the side bar and I noticed one by The Homespun Wife called The Truth About My Son. This video resonated with me. It is also terrifying to me. Despite five years in this, we are at the beginning of our walk with an addict. I feel overwhelmed when I recognize that this journey will probably stretch on for years. Her son was turning 37 a year ago. Ours is on the cusp of his 20s. When I think about decades more of this trial, my heart wants to give up in defeat. But The Homespun Wife's message is one of encouragement:

"You are never abandoned."

 "God is your only hope."

In the scripture writing video, Sherry mentioned her husband's sermon series, challenging his listeners to analyze what things in the world keep them from their calling from God. I immediately thought of my son's addiction and how it has kept me from God's calling on my life to write. I mentally asserted, "I will not let my son's addiction keep me from God's calling on my life to write!" Another sermon asked listeners to list "Lord, I give this brokenness to you: (my son's addiction)." Another one encouraged listeners to write, "I want to please God through: (my prayer life)."

Next, I followed Sherry's You Tube page to discover a new book she has just published called We Have This Hope. Since she already has a huge following on her You Tube channel and Facebook, she will probably do well in getting her book out to the masses. I may purchase it. Mostly, I'm glad I stumbled upon her You Tube channel because her words ministered to my aching heart and reminded me that God has called me for a purpose and I cannot let the trials of this world stand in the way of that calling. I will continue to pray for my wayward son (and others on this painful journey). I have resumed daily scripture writing. You may wish to watch her video about a new scripture writing Facebook group and join that group (although I just learned yesterday that the group is temporarily not taking new members due to the huge response, but I imagine it will open again at some point). If you follow any of these links to The Homespun Wife, I pray her words encourage your souls, too!

"I will be with you as I was with Moses;

I will not fail you or abandon you.

Be strong and courageous! (NLT)

No comments: