Thursday, April 25, 2024

Book Review: Homeless Bird

I still adore Listening for Lions more than any other book written by Gloria Whelan. I gave Homeless Bird a try and wanted to love it more. It was a National Book Award winner. Sadly, I felt Listening for Lions was a far more compelling and inspiring story. Homeless Bird left me rather depressed. Even though the ending brought some happiness into the main character's life, her life's description until that point was tragic.

Thirteen-year-old Koly is getting married to the young man her parents have settled upon. This is not an unusual arrangement in India. Her parents hope she is marrying well. They will offer a pair of earrings for the dowry. However, the groom's parents have ulterior motives. They need the dowry to help pay for a medical cure for their son's illness. Koly's life progresses from one hardship to another. Eventually, she finds herself alone in a strange city. Her only hope lies in her expert ability with a needle.

The story is probably very true to life. Moreover, it opens young eyes to the difficulties some girls face in India. Yet, it was a hard read. Koly is a homeless bird longing for wings to fly. I can only say, I loved Listening for Lions. This one, not as much.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


Thankyou for this review. I was thinking about reading this book, but you saved me time and disappointment.