Thursday, January 7, 2021

Book Review: Freezing and Thawing

Last year, one of my favorite Christmas gifts from my husband was my blogging friend Maria Novajosky's new book, An Ocean, an Airplane, and Two Countries Full of Kisses. This year, my husband snagged the newest book from my writer friend Kyle L. White (from my old writer's group in Illinois), Freezing and Thawing: New and Revised Stories from the Midwest. Not only that, he bought my favorite print from his on-line store. I propped it up in my bookish desk alongside another gem he found - a small motivational decoration that reads "Write Your Own Story."



Freezing and Thawing
- What an adventure! Old familiar paths (circus museum, my favorite) branch off into invigorating new terrain (an essay comparing writing to hunting). As always, before you realize it, casual observation slips into deeper territory. From the comedy of an in-house haircut (thank you, pandemic) illustrating our need to care for one another, to removal of a fish hook prompting reflections on God's touch in our wounds. White's words trigger contemplation and conviction. They induce self-assessment. They remind of God's grace. What rises to the surface is the most important question of all: Am I living and loving as I should?

No comments: