Sunday, July 15, 2012

Book Review: What if Your Blessings Come Through Raindrops

When I saw that our library was going to be acquiring this new devotional by Laura Story (based on the award winning song by the same title), I had to put my name down on the hold list.  I love this song even though it makes me weep almost every time I hear it.  The words to the song hit home every time:

"We pray for blessings ... for healing, for prosperity. We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering.  And all the while, You hear each spoken need, Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things.  'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears?  What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near?  What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?  We pray for wisdom, Your voice to hear.  We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near.  We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love, As if each promise ... is not enough."

Too often I've been the one doubting instead of clinging to the faith of His wisdom and His care.  Too often I've cried in anger rather than gratitude for his tender mercies and undying faithfulness.  This book was a blessing in reminding me to move past the whys and pursue the hows.  I didn't read it like I would a normal devotional, devoting one day to each chapter.  I read it through in two or three sittings.  It was easy to read and full of not only Scripture verses of encouragement but also quotations of comfort from popular Christian leaders.  This was a power-packed little book of spiritual challenge and encouragement, perfect for someone struggling with trials of this life.

No comments: