Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Book Review: Cosmic

This is a book I will definitely return to.  It is recommended for listeners (an audio-book, obviously) ages 8 to 12.  I know that my two younger sons will enjoy this in a few years.  Trevor, being almost 8, is ready, but I want to wait until Sean's attention span is a bit longer (the book was almost 8 hours long).  Still, I thoroughly enjoyed this listening experience.

In Frank Cottrell Boyce's book, Cosmic, Liam is a boy who, at the age of twelve, already looks like an adult, thanks to his height and some early facial hair.  This leads to all kinds of interesting mishaps, like when a new principal mistakes him for a teacher and when a car salesman almost lets him drive off in a Porsche.  Since he's always being taken for a grown-up, Liam decides to take the trick to the next level (he's a big fan of the "World of Warcraft" game) and enters a contest to win the "Best Dad in the World" title.  The prize is supposed to be a ride on the most awesome new thrill ride to be invented.  What he doesn't know is that this ride will take him to space and he will be expected to act like a grown-up through the whole encounter.

Liam is truly stuck between two worlds - earth and outer space, childhood and adulthood.  There were so many laugh-out-loud moments.  At one point, I found myself replaying one section over and over again to hear Liam's co-hort, Florida Kirby, say "No, no, no, no" when he proposes driving a car because he's "the dad." 

Full of genuine pre-teen insights, this book is sure to appeal to both boys and girls and was even fun for me, a grown-up.  When the final sentences were read, I felt that wonderful glow one gets when a book has caused them to think in the middle of an enjoyable romp of a tale.  It made me appreciate both childhood and adulthood more (especially the importance of dads) and gave me a good many laughs.  I highly recommend this book and the audio version, read deliciously by Kirby Heyborne (who did an amazing job switching between a multitude of voices - although I didn't understand why Dr. Dracs [sp?], who is Asian, didn't have a more Asian accent).  I can't wait to read another book by Frank Cottrell Boyce.

No comments: