Saturday, October 29, 2016

Book Review: So Brave, Young, and Handsome

It has been over a decade since I read Leif Enger's blockbuster novel, Peace Like a River. In my memory, it was an outstanding book, so much so that I purchased a copy for my mother. I had heard reasonably good things about So Brave, Young, and Handsome. However, I cannot say my feelings were as strong for this book. Indeed, I don't think I even liked it at all. Perhaps that is because it was about cowboys and outlaws (just not my thing) or perhaps it didn't resonate with me. At many points in the novel, the narrator (an author) bemoans the weight of attempting to follow-up a bestselling book. This novel suffers in the same manner.

The author, Monte Becket, meets his mysterious neighbor, Glendon Hale, and Glendon begs him come along on a trip to make amends with his former wife, Blue. Frustrated with his own futile efforts to work on another book, Monte jumps at the chance and leaves his wife and son to travel with Glendon out West. Along the way, Monte discovers that Glendon is a wanted man, running from the determined Pinkerton detective, Charles Siringo.

While the chase was somewhat interesting, I never really connected with any of the characters and didn't care what the outcome was. I actually wanted the narrator to simply leave off and return to his loving wife and lively son. In the end, I wish I had chosen something more riveting and exciting to read, perhaps even reading Peace Like a River again.


No comments: