Sunday, October 2, 2016

Book Review: I'm Thinking of Ending Things

I don't remember when I put my name on the hold list for this book, or even why, but something about its description in the new acquisitions e-mail must have enticed me. I can't decide how I feel about it. On the one hand, it was an incredibly intense, yet quick read. On the other hand, it completely creeped me out. Yes, it was a thriller, but also a philosophical quest into the nature of identity and loneliness.

Here's the blurb from the inside cover: "In this deeply suspenseful and irresistibly unnerving debut novel, a man and his girlfriend are on their way to a secluded farm. When the two take an unexpected detour, she is left wondering if there is any escape at all. What follows is a twisted unraveling that will haunt you long after the last page is turned.... Reid explores the depths of the human psyche by questioning consciousness, free will, the value of relationships, fear, and the limitations of solitude.... Tense, gripping, and atmospheric, this novel pulls you in from the very first page ... and never lets you go."

I'd have to agree with so much written there. It was deeply suspenseful and irresistibly unnerving. It did, indeed, haunt me. I wasn't anticipating how creepy it would get. While I don't mind being creeped out now and again, it left a bit of a dissatisfied, bad taste in my mouth at the end. Too creepy, I guess.

No comments: