Friday, February 28, 2020

Prayer for a Wayward Son



Photo by Joshua Earle on Unsplash


Prayer for a Wayward Son
by Wendy Hill
2/28/20

I'm his biggest problem -
I hem him in
when he wants wings to fly.
But I can see the pig slop, Lord -
His future laid out plain.
He pictures good times; 
I glimpse ruin and brokenness.
He wants our provision without our authority.
If only I could protect him, Lord.
How do you contain someone
determined to run from you?
My arms are reaching;
My heart aching.

I know You recognize and feel my pain.
Even while You pursue us, we break Your heart.
How do You contain someone
determined to run from You?
We beg your blessing, yet balk at your boundaries
positioned to protect us.
We think our way is best;
Our destination crystal clear to You.
We are our biggest problem.
Lord, save us from ourselves!
Turn our feet back to the path toward home.

No comments: