Thursday, May 26, 2022

Book Review: With Love from London

The name Sarah Jio jumped out at me in my library's recent acquisition list, but I couldn't remember what book of hers I had read. The title provided an even stronger draw, With Love from London. Add in an inherited bookstore and I felt compelled to read. At the start, the tale seemed too contrived and strained credulity. But halfway into the novel, I suspended my disbelief and lapped up this story.

Abandoned as a pre-teen when her mother returned to her native England, Valentina Baker harbors resentment and confusion to this day. News of her mother's death forces Valentina to travel across the ocean to decide what to do with the London bookstore she has inherited. On the heels of divorce, she is more than willing to flee the States, but the bookstore's debts threaten any plans she might have for forming a new life in London.

The revelation of the truth behind Eloise's disappearance from her daughter's life seemed too slow. This caused my half-hearted interest in the beginning. I kept thinking to myself, "Who would do something like that?" It was too much of a stretch. However, as the story progressed, I liked Valentina more, understood Eloise's dilemma, and even embraced the love stories portrayed. I'm not a great fan of romance books, but it is nice to dip into one now and then for a light-hearted read. Moreover, I'm always game for a book that incorporates London and books.

No comments: