Thursday, May 12, 2022

Book Review: I'm a Stranger Here Myself

What fun to return to an old favorite! These insightful essays about America are hilarious. Living in another country, for even a short time, causes you to re-evaluate life in the United States. After three months in the Philippines, where many struggle to get water, my heart seized when my dad asked me to dump the water remaining in our cooler following a brief picnic. Seven months in Britain caused wonder at our vast array of choices, the size and individuality of our homes, and the equality we expect (yes, we allowed women in our bands). This recent audio thrift-store-find had me rolling off the treadmill with laughter.

During Bill Bryson's two decades in Britain, he married and had four children. After moving back to the United States, he was offered a column assignment. This book, I'm a Stranger Here Myself, is a compilation (my audio version is abridged) of some of those column offerings. He highlights all that is ironic, sarcastic, and ludicrous about life in the United States. 

Bryson pokes fun at ineffective conveniences, like drive-in movie theaters, self-closing curtains, and spell checkers. He chuffs at the stand-still caused by innumerable selections when attempting to purchase a basic coffee. Bryson turns a visit to the barbershop, or the grocery store, into a laugh-out-loud adventure. Who can't relate to his wonder at the ridiculous hoops of bureaucratic paperwork? I loved his cranky rules for life and his funny graduation speech. 

I think the longer paperback version is well-worth the time investment. But perhaps you only have six hours at your disposal and want or need a good belly laugh. Bryson delivers. Or you can find the unabridged audio version through Audible (9 hours and 16 minutes). I recommend it! As the Chicago Sun-Times observes, "Bryson could write an essay about dryer lint or fever reducers and still make us laugh out loud."

No comments: