Monday, July 4, 2022

Celebrating Old Friends and New

When you have good news and few to share it with, you realize how isolated you have become. My first book of poetry, Watching the Wayward: Psalms for Parents of Prodigals, finally released in paperback form on Amazon on June 7th. It has reminded me of the value of friendship. I was hesitant to return to my writer's group to share the news of my book because I had not attended since the pandemic shut things down. It felt wrong to attend now that I have good news to share, but then... if I didn't share it there with like-minded individuals who would celebrate with me, where else could I share? 

My heart is full because one individual bought the book to place in our local library and another wrote a kind review on the Amazon page. In the days leading up to the launch, I promoted the book on Facebook, but since I have less than 400 friends, my net is small. Still, I cannot express how grateful I am for those who posted photos of my book, with links, saying "Look! I got Wendy Gorton Hill's new book." Each extra bit of publicity helps and I appreciate every share.

But, in all of this, I think my deepest blessing is in the connections I am making with other parents on a similar walk to mine. Several of my friends wrote to say, "This book came just at the right time because we're struggling with a wayward child." Now, I'm also receiving words from individuals I don't even know who friend me on Facebook, and when I ask the connection, they reply they are reading my book. How cool is that? Besides gratitude, it opens up a chance for me to extend my prayer list to dozens of names of parents with prodigals. I now keep a running prayer list.

One such person, a pastor's wife, contacted me recently to share her story. Her daughter, sent on a mission, returned home confused and depressed. The daughter rejected her faith and headed down a wayward path, taking the son along in solidarity. These stories break my heart. The world is full of parents grieving harmful choices of rebelling children. They ache for restoration. This mother spoke of missing the fellowship she once shared with her daughter, discussing spiritual growth. She likened it to a "miscarriage." She was bringing her child into God's kingdom, and then the path abruptly stopped with progress aborted.

I will forever be grateful for all the parents who express how the book has blessed them and reminded them that God is watching while they're waiting for their child's return to the fold. It validates my decision to do what was necessary to make the book available. My joy is also full because of renewed friendships. One college roommate, Anne, reconnected and even came for a weekend visit. 


What fun we had reminiscing about those youthful days. We commiserated over shared struggles and anxieties. We took a day trip down to Nashville, Indiana and walked the streets filled with quaint shops. Chatting on the back porch, we caught each other up on years spent apart. Once again, I say, if this book nets nothing else, it is growing my prayer list, reinvigorating old friendships, introducing new ones, and providing connection where my spokes had broken (like this old post from 2011).  

No comments: