Thursday, July 21, 2022

Book Review: The Greater Journey

Perhaps you've noticed: I'm in a reading rut again. I've been only managing audio books for some time now. Plus, the current fixation is on armchair travel. If you can't move about the world, bring the world home in a book! This book, The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris, offered an enjoyable jaunt back in time to the years between 1830 and 1900, and across the ocean to the magical city of Paris. Highlighting writers, artists, and architects, it revealed the many American creatives who ventured to Paris to fortify and bolster their artistic endeavors. It was clear, while listening, that I was missing out on illustrations, so I secured the library's copy of the hardbound book, as well.

At first, I kept thinking, "I've heard this narrator before." In looking Edward Herrmann up, I realized it wasn't another audio book I remembered his voice from, but his role as the father figure on my beloved Gilmore Girls series (yes, I'm back indulging again now that my library boasts the whole seven season series). What a rich tenor for this exposition. Herrmann pronounces the French terms and places like a pro and draws you in with his sonorous voice.

I believe this book, despite its already imposing length (14 CDs), deserves a sequel. It could cover the creative individuals who moved to Paris between 1900 and 2000. More material is available, and creative individuals enjoy learning more about what stimulated and developed others in their talents. I'm no painter, yet I thrilled at the descriptions of artists copying the greats hanging in the Louvre. Moreover, it was fascinating to read about how they created the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty. I would happily indulge in another book along these lines, especially if narrated by Edward Herrmann.

Adam Gopnik's lengthier (650 page) book, Americans in Paris: A Literary Anthology, only focuses on writers. Yet, I may seek it to further my investigation into creatives influenced by Paris. (Plus, there are a slew of novels available, as well.) It brings back a happy memory of my walking tour in Paris. Even the rain couldn't dampen my spirits as I lapped up the guide's description of literary Paris.

No comments: