Monday, July 27, 2026

Book Review: William Warwick Series, 1 & 2

Jeffrey Archer is a masterful storyteller. I love his short stories, with his trademark "twist in the tale." After thoroughly enjoying the Clifton Chronicles series, I waited a while to pick up this William Warwick series. For one thing, I preferred listening to the other series and was hoping to do the same with this one. Alas, my library had book 2, but not book 1. Thus, I finally gave in and read the first book, Nothing Ventured, in large print hardback. The pages flew by. My copy had a different cover, but I love this image of Big Ben and Westminster Bridge.

William Warwick's father assumes he will join him in pursuing law. Instead, William's heart is set on police work, especially solving crimes. When he secures a spot on Scotland Yard's arts and antiquities squad, he is thrust into several cases. As he investigates a stolen Rembrandt, he meets and falls in love with a gallery research assistant. It seems like tricky ground to discuss the painting's return with a woman who has a vested interest. I was sucked into the story and enjoyed meeting the characters. Due to sexual indiscretions, it wasn't a clean read. 


While not as enjoyable as the Clifton Chronicles, I anticipated listening to the second book, Hidden in Plain Sight. This was a bit grittier and harder to read because it dealt with drug cases. A bit too close to home for me, I guess. I wanted to abandon it, but kept listening even when distasteful. It seems there are 8 books in the series. Somehow, I doubt I'll be down for the whole thing. They are all available, but only in audio through Overdrive (I'm much more familiar with using Hoopla). I'm not sure I'll stick with this series.

No comments: