Monday, August 10, 2026

Book Review: Where Prayer Becomes Real

I struggled to get into this book on prayer, Where Prayer Becomes Real. Writers Kyle Strobel and John Coe present a sufficient argument that in order to be real with God, we must be honest in our prayer. After reading one hour, I set the book aside for almost a week. I couldn't bring myself to give up on a prayer book, though. They outline 5 types of prayers: praying the psalms, prayers of intention, prayers of recollection, prayers of examine, and prayers of intercession.

If ever one wanted to see an example of honest praying, you only need to visit the psalms in the Bible. David and others pour out their heart, their lament, their worship, and their praise. I think my favorite sections were on praying The Psalms, examining your days and life, and interceding for others. The authors identify a common struggle. "When tragedy strikes and we pray, sometimes it feels like the smallest possible gesture. But intercession is no mere gesture. Intercession is a prayer of faith, and we are present to another to carry them, in the Spirit, to the Father." They argue for the importance of being present to the individuals we are lifting to the throne. [I wrote this review in June, but I feel the significance of this deeply now!]

At the end of the book, Strobel and Coe present mini callings for prayer. They suggest, 1) you must intend to be with God as He really is; 2) resist turning to fantasy and prayers of magic; 3) be honest with God in about your heart's longings without cleaning them up to be more acceptable; and 4) live in the truth of who you are in Christ. While this wasn't my favorite book on prayer (probably J. C. Ryle's Do You Pray?), it did spur me on to greater honesty with God in the face of personal trials. 

No comments: