Thursday, November 4, 2021

Book Review: Grit

 

A few months back, I was again pushing the writing boulder up the hill and questioning the time, energy, and passion invested. I'm aware fear often renders my efforts halfhearted. For example, that particular moment of despair came after four query rejections. Four is, as they say, a drop in the bucket. After all, Dr. Seuss pitched his first book 27 times to repeated rejection. Four is nothing. Still, depression took hold. I wondered when a person just gives up and says "it must not be in the cards for me." 

I continue to place my efforts before the Lord and wait on His timing for their use. Meanwhile, I wrote a quick letter to Jordan Raynor (author of Called to Create, Master of One, and Redeeming Your Time). Something in his newsletter hit a nerve and my knee-jerk reaction was to bend his ear with my pain. Gracious author that he is, he responded to my letter with a video response. So cool! He encouraged me and then, right up my alley, made some book recommendations. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance, by Angela Duckworth, is an excellent study of the trait I need. It may feel like an uphill battle, but if I let the rock slide down even an inch, it will never make it up the hill.

This book is fascinating. Duckworth makes a thorough study of the key character trait that sets achievers apart from dabblers. Writing demands passion and perseverance. Too many writers give up mid-stride. Or, like me, have written and edited many books only to hear crickets. The frustration is palpable. But can I let these set-backs immobilize me if I believe God desires me to continue putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard)?

I appreciated the section discussing deliberate practice. Indeed, I wonder if my efforts have been deliberate enough. Perhaps I need to focus more on the stretching goals and push myself to ship more, despite the rejections. I also enjoyed the parental instruction for instilling grit in children. I'm not sure my parenting falls in the wise parenting quadrant of her chart. Still, I shuddered to read of John Watson's approach in his book, Psychological Care of Infant and Child (1928). His encouragement to never hug or kiss or even keep consistent caregivers (for fear the child will form unhealthy attachments) sounded so severe. Plus, I loved the John Wooden quote, "Success is never final; failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts."

As Duckworth proclaims, grit is more important than genius. All the talent in the world won't matter if you don't push through obstacles. Thankfully, you can foster grit. I intend to institute her "Hard Thing Rule," and to push myself to ignore the rejections and send my writing into the world regardless of the setbacks. Grit paired with God's grace can only bring growth. And if you're not growing, what's the point?

No comments: