Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Memories Stirred by Song

Cardiogirl, has once again, taken me down memory lane. On Friday, she wrote a post about singing. Although, she claims to be not much of a singer herself, in her reply to comments she did mention a song they sing at her church. As soon as I read the lyrics she shared, I welled up with marvelous memories.

The song is "How Can I Keep From Singing" and you can view the lyrics here. Cardiogirl only mentioned a brief refrain, and those are the lines that stand out in my memory as well:

No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock I'm clinging,
If love is lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing.

The lyrics I found on-line, articulate "Christ" instead of "love" in that third line, but I seem to remember singing the word "love" as well.

This was a song we used to sing during the praise time in our old University of Illinois graduate school Bible study. That particular group meant quite a bit to me and my husband. It was known for all the couples produced (some of whom we are still in contact with). I have such fond memories of those evenings together and the wonderful friendships we shared. Sadly, we fell out of touch with some of them, but this song still reminds me of our singing sessions.

Of course, those memories led me to look for a video version of this song on You Tube. Alas, most of what I found were current songs by Chris Tomlin. Not to knock Chris Tomlin, or anything, but I was searching for the older version.

Then, I stumbled upon this:




Now, the memories are really streaming in. When I graduated from college, I had the opportunity to spend six months working in London, England. While there, I became friends with a wonderful family - the Mitchell family. I don't even remember all the details surrounding this, but I know that I wanted to visit Highgate Cemetery. David Mitchell, the father in the family, took me to Highgate one day.

As soon as this video began, I welled up with emotion remembering that day and remembering my wonderful friend and father-figure, David Mitchell. He was such a sweet, caring, loving individual. There are several places and things that will always bring back memories of the Mitchells.

Of course, even if I had heard this, without knowing it was filmed in Highgate, it would have made me think of the Mitchells. Another wonderful memory involves the time they took me to see the Vienna Boy's Choir perform at some auditorium along the Embankment (I remember it holds my favorite tea spot in London). Boys choir voices and the sound of The King's Singers will always stir memories of the Mitchells.

Now David is singing with the angels and we can't make any more memories together here on this earth (even if my husband would relent and let me visit England again). But one day, I will join him in that choir and I think I'll ask for this song, "How Can I Keep from Singing."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Wendy! How fun is this?

I found the same thing at YouTube -- the stuff from Chris Tomlin and like you said, not to knock him, but I was look for more of a hymn. Thanks for posting this one.

It is a great song. I was surprised that the lyrics you found used Christ instead of love. I've never seen that.

Nice post!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

I actually knew this song first as an Enya song -- it's on her "Shepherd Moons" album. Then someone in my church named it as their favorite hymn, and I found it in the hymnal. This arrangement is kind of similar to the Enya one.

(I also enjoyed the post about the trip to Indiana Beach. I need those tips, too!)

Erin

Wendy Hill said...

CG - Yes, I'm curious to find my old copy of the choruses we would sing in that Bible study. I'm betting it said "love", but it could have been "Christ."

Erin - Welcome to my blog. Yes, the Enya version on You Tube was illustrated with Elves from Tolkien. (Please come again and leave a comment.)