Monday, December 14, 2009

Cell Phone Faux Pas

I will admit that I don't use my cell phone very often. Primarily, it is there in case of emergency. I can't think of a single person who calls me regularly on my cell phone. In fact, most of the time, I barely turn it on. I take it with me when I drive out and about with the boys.

I don't really like to have it ring out loud either, so I have taken to putting the phone on vibrate. Of course, when it is on vibrate, you have to carry it in a way that assures you will feel the phone pulsing when someone is calling. I used to try to carry it in my coat pocket, but didn't really feel it going off. Since I have recently gained weight, I don't enjoy carrying it in my pants pockets either.

I thought I had stumbled upon the perfect solution for this dilemma. I began shoving it down into my bra (again, it is rare for me to receive a phone call so I can only remember one time that I had to dig it out while in public).

On Friday, I attended MS's pre-school Christmas program. I had spent most of the day shopping and had really forgotten that the phone was tucked away in my clever safe spot. I chatted away to other mothers during the refreshments time after the performance. We tossed our trash, picked up YS and headed home.

At home, I stood in the bathroom preparing to assist YS as he washed his hands. Suddenly, I noticed something strange. From beneath my black turtleneck sweater, I could see a round blinking red light in the middle of my chest. It dawned on me that my cell phone had been blinking (it blinks every few seconds continuously when it is on) the entire time I talked to others after the program. Oh my! I'm wondering what they were thinking. Perhaps, they wondered if I had a pacemaker!

Note to self: When wearing cell phone in your bra, you must be careful to insert it so that the blinking light is facing the flesh of your chest and not flashing through your clothing like a ... blinkin' beacon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps...the others thought you had some fancy schmancy Christmas bra...that lights up! :) ~karin

My Three Sons said...

I think that is so funny...sorry. I'm going with Karin....a Christmas bra. Oh well, we only live once. LOL

cardiogirl said...

Should I start calling you Rudy?

Catherine said...

This made me laugh - I would have thought you had a Christmas bra on too. But who needs a Christmas bra when you have a cell phone! :)