Monday, October 4, 2010

Mary Poppins

Back in June, when my parents came for a visit, they raved about "Mary Poppins." My father had surprised my mother with tickets to the show and they were so blown away by the performance that they purchased the DVD. They showed us the incredible footage where Mary Poppins flies out over the heads of the audience and where Bert walks the walls and ceiling.

A few months back, I received a Groupon notification of a substantial savings on tickets to "Mary Poppins." I didn't even bother asking hubby's permission. I just snatched up two tickets right away. Now, I am a bit skeptical as to whether I really, in fact, saved money with Groupon or not. The tickets themselves listed a price that was far lower than what I paid (despite the fact that they were touted as being a 40% savings). Plus, a woman seated next to me (who also snagged the Groupon "deal" stated that she received an e-mail from the theater itself stating a lowering of prices for the show, far lower than the price we paid. Hmphh!

Since my husband didn't seem to care one way or the other, I decided to take Trevor. I reminded him about the You Tube clips we had watched of Bert walking the walls and ceiling. We even watched our Disney tape of "Mary Poppins" last week.

Yet, yesterday morning, Trevor said, "So, tonight we go to Harry Potter, right?"

"Um, no .... Mary Poppins."

I was, frankly, quite worried that he would not sit still for the performance. It was two hours and forty-five minutes long (including the 15 minute intermission).

He did fairly well. We were seated next to a brave woman who had brought five young girls (around 8 or 9 years old) with her. At times, these girls were as antsy as Trevor. Mostly, he just kept asking when Bert was going to walk on the walls.

For my part, it was absolutely amazing. The thing that really struck me about the performance was the contrasting atmospheres of the stage props. During many scenes, the stage was almost black. But during the scenes where they enter the park, the color literally exploded across the stage. I don't know how they managed to make it seem so incredibly bright. They eye was assaulted with too many things to take in. The dancing was vibrant and colorful.

I loved the house on Cherry Tree Lane. It was like a small doll's house, opening to reveal different sections of the house where the action took place.

I also loved the bits of humor sprinkled throughout. My favorite line of all was when the head servant (cook) said something like "The slaves in ancient Rome were on a luxury cruise compared to the role I play in this house!"

We had a wonderful time. Trevor loved the city. He kept remarking about how much he liked looking up at the tall, lit-up buildings. He felt grown up to be out at night in the city with me. But, he clearly realized it was past his bed-time. During the second half, he even told me he just wanted to go home and go to bed.

As we were driving home, and Trevor was dozing off, I was pulled over by a police officer. Apparently, I had just made an illegal left turn, right in front of him. I was just wanting to get home. I explained that we had come from "Mary Poppins" and I was following a Mapquest map to get home. Thank goodness for those Mapquest pages. I think they saved me from a ticket.

It was a wonderful night. One that I am sure both Trevor and I will remember for a long time to come.

No comments: