Sunday, May 27, 2012

Book Review: The Cardturner

Louis Sachar is a great name in children's literature.  I generally look forward to reading one of his books.  While this book was good, I'm not sure it will hold the interest of young people because of its intense focus on the card game of Bridge.  Granted, I'm not a card game enthusiast, especially when it comes to partnering card games.  I have horrible memories of attempting to play Euchre with a guy I really liked.  He was deeply disappointed in my abilities and I found the whole experience quite frustrating.

Thankfully, The Cardturner had enough of a story behind the game to keep me interested in that.  Alton Richards is a teenager facing a summer of forced servitude to his "favorite uncle Lester."  His mother insists on Alton's services as Lester's cardturner because Lester has a lot of money and she wants to ensure their place in Lester's will.  Lester requires a cardturner because he has recently lost his sight, but still wants to play the game. 

The previous cardturner, Toni, lost her position when she questioned one of his moves.  Lester is an amazingly proficient card player and has a phenomenal memory for the cards he is told he has been dealt.  In the midst of developing a bit of a relationship with his uncle Lester, Alton becomes interested in the game of Bridge and in Toni, as well.  Of course, the fact that she becomes interested in his best friend complicates things.

Sachar tries to give warnings when the drudgery of Bridge explanation is coming, but it didn't really make the explanations any more palatable.  I merely zoned out during those bits and stayed alert for the story line, which was worthwhile and interesting enough to hold my attention.  Sadly, I'm afraid young adults will fail to give this a chance because they'll feel bogged down by the game descriptions.  If they stick with it, though, the story is quite enjoyable.

No comments: